- This event has passed.
June 1, 2019 @ 3:00 pm - June 4, 2019 @ 5:00 pm
An event every week that begins at 3:00 pm on Thursday, Friday and Saturday, repeating until June 1, 2019
An event every week that begins at 3:00 pm on Sunday and Saturday, repeating until June 2, 2019
Thursday, May 30 - Sunday, June 2, 2019
The Apollo Theater Presents
The Baltimore Center Stage and Congo Square Theatre Company Production
in association with Mosaic Theater Company
A Donny Hathaway Story
Written by and starring Kelvin Roston, Jr.
Directed by Derrick Sanders
This powerful one-man show is based on the life of ’70s soul singer and composer Donny Hathaway, perhaps best known for his duets with Roberta Flack. Twisted Melodies is an immersive and crushing play about the brilliant musician’s compelling inner struggle. Torn between the muses that inspire him and the mental illness that torments him, Hathaway evaluates the choices in his life in a gripping performance by Kelvin Roston, Jr.
* Additional $3.50 facility fee, online and phone service fees apply
- This performance is 100 minutes with no intermission
- Late seating is at the sole discretion of house management
- Visit the Apollo Digital Stage to learn more about the life and legacy of Donny Hathaway
HALF OFF FOR HARLEM
Harlem residents, employees, and business owners and students can save 50% on tickets to this moving performance. Half off for Harlem tickets can be purchased in person at the Apollo Theater Box Office. Ticket buyers must provide proof of residence or work ID*.
Half Off for Harlem for this production is supported by JL Greene Arts Access Fund in The New York Community Trust and Coca-Cola.
Show your Twisted Melodies ticket stub and receive exclusive discounts at the restaurants below**:
- Red Rooster: $10 specialty cocktail, 15% off any entree
- Cove Lounge: $8 for any HH Bespoke Spirit Cocktail (gin, rum or vodka) or any Slaine Whiskey, 10% off any entree
- Sylvia's Restaurant: 10% off any entree***
- The Cecil Steakhouse: complimentary signature cocktail, 10% off any entree
- Ruby's Vintage: 15% off of purchase
- Vinateria: complimentary signature Cappelletti Spritz cocktail with the purchase of an entree
- Harlem Shake: "Twisted Melodies Combo" - Salted Caramel Pretzel Shake, Harlem Classic (turkey or beef burger) or Classic Fried Chicken Sandwich and Fries - $18
- Teranga: 10% off all seasonal bowls
*While supplies last.
**Some exclusions apply. Offer valid May 30 - June 2. Must present Twisted Melodies ticket stub in order to receive special offer.
***Offer not available for group reservations.
Sign up for the Apollo A-List to receive special offers directly to your inbox for upcoming Apollo events including Twisted Melodies.
Immediately following each matinee performance, stay for a discussion featuring Kelvin Roston and leading industry professionals*.
SATURDAY, JUNE 1
Kelvin Roston, Jr.
A conversation on mental health
SUNDAY, JUNE 2
Radio One's Dyana Williams
Apollo Executive Producer, Kamilah Forbes
Kelvin Roston, Jr.
Celebrating Black Music Month and the legacy of Donny Hathaway
*Free for ticket holders of Saturday and Sunday matinee performances.
Kelvin Roston, Jr.
Playwright, Music Director, Donny Hathaway
Kelvin Roston, Jr. is an actor/singer/musician based in Chicago, IL. Playwriting credits include—Twisted Melodies. National credits include—Black Rep, Metro, Union Ave Opera, Writers, Goodman, Steppenwolf, Court, Black Ensemble, Marriott-Lincolnshire (Chicago, IL), Paramount (Aurora, IL), Fulton, MSMT. International—Orb (Tokyo, Japan), Festival Hall (Osaka, Japan). TV—KFC, Chicago PD, Chicago Med. Film—Princess Cyd, Get a Job, Beautiful Hands. Professional—Artistic Associate of Congo Square Theater Co. Kelvin is represented by Paonessa Talent in Chicago and is a proud member of AEA.
"Roston inhabits his troubled man, feels what he feels, honors his complexity and sings his songs as if his life depended on doing them justice." - Chicago Tribune
"Roston pulls you into his world effortlessly and happily through his music, which has the soul of gospel, R&B, and jazz...Twisted Melodies is beautiful, heartbreaking, and powerful." - DC Theatre Scene